Cedar-Planked Maple Salmon with Fennel Coleslaw:
This Cedar-Planked Maple Salmon with Fennel Coleslaw Tasting Style recipe is a serving adaptation of one of our all time favourite recipes- Cedar-Planked Maple Salmon. This tasting style of our Cedar-Planked Maple Salmon is prepared ahead of time. It is later served cold over a delicious and flavourful bed of fennel coleslaw.
As the cedar plank burns, it creates a nice smoky flavour. The moist wood prevents the salmon from drying out. The cedar plank also keeps the fillets from overcooking on one side, so it’s not necessary to turn the fish during the cooking process.
Serves 10 tasting style portions.
|CEDAR PLANKED SALMON|
|1 large (2 pound)||Salmon fillet, 1-2″ thick, fresh, skin intact or removed|
|3 Tbsp||Rub for Barbecue|
|1/2 Cup (1/2 jar)||Maple Cappuccino Sauce|
|1||Cedar plank for barbecuing|
|1/2 head||Green cabbage – outer leaves removed, sliced or shredded finely|
|1/2 bulb||Fennel or anise – cleaned, sliced or shredded finely|
|1/4 Cup||Spanish or sweet onion – diced|
|1 whole||Granny Smith apple – unpeeled, sliced in small thin pieces|
|1/4 Cup||Sour cream|
|1/4 Cup||Raspberry Wine Vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|To taste||Salt – preferably fleur de sel|
|To taste||Pepper – freshly ground|
To prepare the salmon:
1. Soak the plank according to package directions
2. Preheat the grill to 365 – 400 F. (Medium high heat)
3. Spread the Rub For BBQ out on wax paper or a large plate. Press the salmon fillets into the dry rub, assuring to coat all sides.
4. Place the Maple Cappuccino Sauce in a microwaveable dish. Heat the sauce on high for 40 seconds or until it just boils. Brush the sauce on the salmon fillets.
5. Place the pre-soaked plank on the grill, close the lid, and heat until the plank begins to smoke and you hear a crackling sound. Place the salmon, skin side down, on the plank. Close the lid on the grill and leave until the salmon is cooked – approximately 8-10 minutes
6. Using a lifter remove the salmon fillets from the plank- the skin should separate easily and remain on the plank – place the salmon on a platter and cool to room temperature. Cover the salmon and place it in the fridge for 1 – 24 hours.
7. Allow the plank to cool completely before removing from the barbecue – refer to package instructions.
8. Just before serving remove the salmon from the fridge. Using a 1-1/2” round cookie cutter, cut the salmon in circles.
To prepare the Fennel Coleslaw:
1. In a large mixing bowl, toss the ingredients in Group A together.
2. In a separate bowl combine all the dressing ingredients together and stir with a spoon to mix thoroughly.
3. Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Using a spoon gently fold the dressing into the vegetables. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for a least an hour before serving.
To Serve Tasting Style:
1. Spoon or scoop a ¼ cup size portion of the fennel coleslaw onto the middle of a small serving plate. Place the Cedar Planked Salmon on top of the fennel slaw. Serve cold/ immediately.